Amazon S3 is a Simple Storage Service
- It provides secure, durable and highly scalable cloud storage.
- It’s a file-storage in the Cloud, where you can store code, files, images, etc.
- You can store an unlimited amount of data when you need it.
- You can retain any backups you want, at a low cost.
- S3 can be used to host a static website also.
Features of S3:
- It’s extremely durable and it provides 11 9s durability. It indicates you can expect a loss of 1 file every 10 million years.
- Your data is redundantly stored over multiple facilities and multiple devices inside each facility.
- It’s highly available and is designed for 99.99% availability.
- You can also choose the AWS region to store your data, to optimize latency and reduce your storage costs.
- It’s a global service, you can access it in any region.
- You can store a huge amount of data in S3 at a very low cost.
- You only pay for what you use and you will be charged based on usage of GB/ month.
- It supports SSL data transfer and data encryption.
- You can also manage access to your data using IAM and permissions using S3 policies (Public/Private).
- It’s highly scalable. It allows you to store as much as the data you want.
- It’s having elastic storage, so you can scale up and down as per your requirements.
- You can configure SNS, SQS or Lambda email notifications when objects are loaded into S3.
- You can connect S3 using Amazon web console, Amazon web services CLI, Mobile application or using API/SDK.
- You can store and retrieve data anywhere from the web.
- You can integrate S3 with various AWS products like RDS, EBS, CloudWatch, CloudFront, and Lambda, etc.